Prep Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 37 minutes
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups melted butter plus 1/3 cup melted butter for filling
- 1 cup sugar for dough plus 2/3 cup sugar for filling
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. freshly ground cardamom (from about 25 cardamom pods)
- 2 pkg. dry active yeast (4 1/2 tsp.)
- 8-9 cups all purpose or bread flour
- 2 Tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 egg plus 2 Tbsp. water, lightly beaten together into an egg wash
- pearl sugar (or crushed sugar cubes) and / or chopped or slivered almonds
Prepare your Basic Cardamom Bread Dough using the first 7 ingredients listed above (this takes about 1 1/2 hours).
After punching down dough following its first rise, remove from bowl and knead lightly on floured counter until smooth and shiny. Divide dough into two halves.
Roll each half of dough into a 12” by 18” rectangle. Brush each rectangle well with melted butter. Combine 2/3 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp. cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over the 2 rectangles. Roll each rectangle crosswise, like a jelly roll, to form an 18”-long cylinder.
Using a sharp or serrated knife, cut each cylinder into 20 equal slices.
Place each slice into a paper cupcake wrapper and place on baking sheet. Cover with towel and allow to double in size, about 45 minutes. Preheat oven to 425º.
Brush risen cinnamon rolls with egg wash and sprinkle with pearl sugar and / or almonds. Place in the middle of a preheated oven and bake for 7 minutes, or until done.
Yield: 40 cinnamon rolls.