Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
Yield: 6 servings cabbage casserole
- 1/2 head large cabbage, shredded
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups leftover ham, diced
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup grated hushållsost (farmer's cheese) - or substitute mozzarella or Monterey jack
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped chives
Preheat oven to 400°. In a medium pot, bring 4 cups of lightly salted water to a boil; add shredded cabbage, reduce heat to a simmer, and maintain a light boil for 10 minutes. Then, remove and drain cabbage well in a colander, patting well with paper towels to remove all excess water.
Meanwhile, melt 1 tsp. of butter combined with 1 Tbsp. olive oil in frying pan, then saute red onion slices over medium-low heat until opaque and very slightly browned. Remove from heat.
Lightly grease bottom of casserole dish with cooking spray. Distribute the ham in an even layer; cover first with the sauted onions and then with the cabbage. Whisk together 5 eggs, grated farmer's cheese, salt, pepper, and chopped chives; pour over casserole.
Bake in upper third of oven for 30 to 40 minutes, until browned.